Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Interview

                                  
         My research topic is about how text messaging can affect relationships. I decided that the majority of people who are most affected by text messaging are teenagers. I interviewed one of my friends, Marissa Lundeen. I knew that she would have some real life experiences that could be very useful in my paper.
    One of the stories she told me was about how text messaging and other technology has affected common courtesy. A boy had asked her on a date and she was very excited to go. She really liked this boy and respected him. When he came to pick her up, instead of going to the door to get her, he just sent her a text telling her he was there. She was very disappointed when he did this. It made her feel like she wasn’t even worth the effort of walking to the door and knocking.
    She also talked about how text messaging can portray people differently than how they really are. She said that boys have often said flirty and romantic things to her that they would never have the guts to say in real life. When it’s through a text it doesn’t seem nearly as sincere, especially if the person acts much different face to face. It can also cause some awkward moments when the boy and girl see each other face to face.
    Another thing she mentioned is that text messaging can make having intelligent face to face conversations difficult. Many teenagers would much rather text someone than have to actually talk to them. It’s easier because you have time to think about what you’re going to say and to make sure you won’t say something that might embarrass you.
    I think this was a very useful interview. I will probably use some of the personal stories she told. I think it was good to have someone else’s point of view that is affected by this in my paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment